Wednesday 9 September 2009

No.3) Prayer

Have you ever broken anything? I don't mean something small either- I mean something big and expensive. Hurts, doesn't it? The feeling of horror as you watch the item fall, suspending in mid air by some kind of ghostly slow motion. Then SMASH as it hits the floor. The sick feeling in the pit of your stomach as you realise that there is a very good chance that this thing is not going to perform the function that it used to do- and would be better suited on the mantelpiece than being used: a worthless ornament. The overwhelming feeling of anger that erupts as you look for someone to blame followed quickly by the frustration at realising that you yourself are to blame! AGGGGGGHHHHH!!!


I had this recently when I managed to drop my NEW camera. I was not happy. One moment I was taking it off of the tripod, the next it was decorating the carpet. My first response was a rushed prayer, you know the kind of thing:


AGGGHHHHELPNOWAYCANITBEBROKENPLEASEHELPLORDMAKEITBETTERLETTHISBEADREAMDON'TLETITBEBROKENPLEASEPLEASEPLEASENO...


This continued for about 20 seconds whilst I picked up the camera for a quick inspection. A couple of failed photos later proved the inevitable- it was well and truly busted. I got my Dad to try in vain to fix it before turning to my last hope- household insurance. With a £100 excess. Damn.


I can't say I was happy!


Looking around again for people to blame, I put God in the dock- asking why he hadn't helped me. Why? What possible reason did he not answer in the way that I wanted? Did I not have enough faith? Did my feet smell or something? Why?


Whilst thinking back to these events recently (with a NEW camera- which I'm being VERY careful with!) I suddenly had the answer. Sometimes God does not answer prayer how we want. He wants the best for all of us, and since when did know that? God has the plan- not us. Through dropping my camera, he's taught me to be more careful. Do not be discouraged when God doesn't answer- be encouraged when he does! Think about this amazing God reaching down into our sinful world to answer prayers- now that's awesome!


Although it can be annoying at times, God does not always answer prayer in the way we ask. That's probably a good thing. I leave you with this: when I was younger, I prayed to be a superhero- just think what would have happened if he'd answered that one!!!


Superman Daniel Wilton


No comments:

Post a Comment